Wednesday 25 May 2011

St Katherine's, Kew

All the hypes and no substance! 


Straight from their website http://www.stkatherines.com.au/ "St Katherine’s will embrace a contemporary sharing style menu, with a melding of Modern Greek, Turkish and Middle Eastern cultures and food. Defined by its custom made Turkish grill and a wood fired oven, St Katherine’s guarantees a dining experience that is fresh, healthy and filled with flavoursome and affordable food that leaves you craving more." 

It looks stunning from the outside and the double entrance door to the premise keeps the cold and rain out, wonderful. The open space interior was fresh, buzzing, a bit noisy, open kitchen, inviting bar, no table cloth, Robert Welch's cutleries placed in used jumbo tomatoes can, custom design Mediterranean inspired crockeries made by Salt & Pepper, funky looking waiting staffs, black jeans, black vest and St Katherine's abstract t-shirt, by George how am I looking forward to this offering from the most celebrated chef in Australia, George Calombaris.

Then it hit me, Pilsener or Larger, where's the manner in this place, am I outdated in my early forty's for these waiter/es? The menu is just half folded printed paper, so we ordered, see for yourself; $7.50 Pickles, $10.50 Leaves, $9.50 Prawn Crackers, $12.50 for 4 extra skinny long Duck Springroll - Vietnamese inspired complete with lettuce and dipping sauce, $12.50 Turkish Lamb Dumpling that looks like Steamed Chinese Dumpling with cream, $12.50 Prawn Toast - your typical Chinese Sesame Prawns with lots of fresh herbs dressing, mints and some kind of Thai chili sauce and the best of all $5.50 Snack Burger, a rendition of Chinese White Steam buns cut in half with a slice of crispy suckling pig belly, sounds familiar? 
Oops, I forgot something and the best part; a Greek toothpick flag stuck on top of it to hold the buns together or stake a claim that this dish is truly Greek. Have you seen the dad in the movie My Big Fat Greek Wedding? Every words is Greek origin. 


For a minute, I thought I was in Masterchef Po and Adam's kitchen. 

Our mains; $28 well overcooked, dried whole Snapper, $32 for 4 Salty Lamb Chops with the freshest herbs and best of all a piece of Swordfish fillet on a plate for $28 I believe. 


I'm not happy eventhough my client paid for it. 


Service and foods were slow, but the coffee was extra fast. 


I've got some photos from my lunch today, which is the best I think, L'occitane Handwash in the toilet, the Hand basin and the function area with an open kitchen upstairs. 

Oh George, is that your best rendition of "melding modern Greek, Turkish and Middle Eastern cuisines or you've forgot to add Chinese to it? I felt such a novice diner for Not craving to come back for more. 23/5/11.

No comments:

Post a Comment